When you or a family member is charged with a crime, that can bring a lot of anxiety, uncertainty, and stress to your lives. Depending on the nature of your alleged offense, you may be facing a jail sentence, and if convicted a permanent criminal record that potentially may affect the rest of your life. If you are criminal charges, an experienced San Diego criminal defense attorney will be able to protect your rights. A criminal record can cause problems for you when you:
- Apply for a job
- Apply for rental housing
- Apply for a professional license, such as to practice nursing, pharmacy, law, medicine, or teaching
- Apply for an immigration visa, green card, or citizenship.
These are just a few of the potential consequences of a conviction for a misdemeanor or felony crime in California. A criminal conviction can touch your life and affect your future in numerous other unexpected ways.
However, with the right San Diego criminal defense attorney at your side in court, you may be able to avoid some or all of the consequences of a criminal charge. If the facts and evidence are on your side, a skilled attorney may be able to get your case dismissed, or convince a prosecutor or judge that you deserve leniency, such as probation instead of jail time.
Strong, Experienced Defense for Your Criminal Charge
As a San Diego criminal defense law firm, we fight tenaciously for every person who comes to us for help with a criminal matter. We have experience on both sides of the criminal process — both prosecution and defense — that gives us a unique perspective on criminal matters and a thorough understanding of how cases move through San Diego courtrooms.
When you come to us for representation, we’ll examine every facet of your case and explain every step of the process so that you understand what’s happening, and what options are in front of you. You’ll get personal, individualized service that includes communicating directly with your San Diego criminal defense attorney and not a legal secretary or paralegal.
Inside the courtroom, we’ll be aggressive in advocating for you and telling your story to the prosecutors, judge, or jury. We’ll use every tool at our fingertips to fight to get the best possible outcome for your case.
Key Topics in San Diego Criminal Defense
The legal process in California can be mystifying to someone who doesn’t know the law, and who doesn’t encounter the process every day. If you’re facing a criminal charge, you likely have numerous questions not only about the details of the offense with which you have been charged, but how the court process works and what might unfold in your case.
Each case is unique and brings its own set of issues and challenges. However, these are some common issues that San Diego criminal defendants encounter at various stages of the process — including after your criminal court case is over.
- Asset Forfeiture Proceedings — This page explains California asset forfeiture proceedings and when the government might try to take your home, car, cash, or other property in connection with criminal activity, including when you’re not the person alleged to have committed a crime.
- Probation Violations — This page explains how you might be charged with a San Diego probation violation, what happens when you’re charged, and possible outcomes if you’re found guilty of violating a probation sentence.
- Expungements — This page explains what options you may have in California to clear your criminal record after being arrested, charged, or convicted.
- Drug Cases After Proposition 47 — California drug laws are constantly changing through legislative processes and ballot measures. Proposition 47 is the most recent shift, and this page explains how the proposition affected penalties for drug charges, and your ability to get a charge reduced.
- Searches and Seizures — This page explains your rights with regard to unreasonable searches and seizures, and what may happen if you’re the victim of an illegal search or seizure of your property.
- Bail Hearings — This page explains how the bail process works in California and what to expect at a bail hearing.
- Sentencing and Penalties — This page gives an overview of California’s guidelines for sentencing and penalties when you’re convicted of a crime.
- California Criminal Court Process — This page provides an overview of what to expect as your criminal case proceeds through court.
- Three Strikes Law — This page offers an explanation of California’s “three strikes” law, what it means, and how it is applied to criminal cases.
- Your Rights When Accused of a Crime — Learn more about your constitutional rights when accused of a crime and how a qualified defense attorney can fight to protect your rights from abuse by police and prosecutors.
- Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Conviction — The effects of a criminal conviction can go well beyond a jail sentence or fines. Learn more about the many ways that a criminal conviction can affect your life and how a San Diego criminal lawyer can help avoid the collateral consequences of a conviction.
- Hiring Your San Diego Criminal Defense Lawyer — There are many factors to consider when hiring a San Diego criminal defense lawyer to make sure you get the lawyer who’s the right fit for your case.