As you’re looking for the right California criminal defense lawyer, you might want to know more about our experience and the types of cases we handle. Please feel free to browse through the links below or send us a chat request if you have any questions.
- Arson & Property Crimes – When you are facing an arson, vandalism, or other property-related charge, your best chance at avoiding a conviction will depend on getting representation from a good lawyer who is willing to hear your side of the story.
- Assault, Battery & Domestic Violence – Charges of assault, battery, or domestic violence can rattle the lives of the alleged victim as well as the accused. The penalties can include hefty fines and significant jail sentences, and the convictions can haunt you for years. An experienced San Diego criminal defense lawyer can be your advocate and help you avoid these grim outcomes.
- Burglary & Robbery – Burglary and robbery charges don’t have to involve masked men sneaking through windows or scaling buildings. These offenses often arise from friends or families arguing over property and charges may be the result of a misunderstanding. Whatever the scenario, a conviction for either offense comes with serious consequences. Your best course of action is to immediately contact a criminal attorney, who will get to know every facet of your case to build you a strong defense.
- Crimes Against Police & Government – Crimes against police and government officials are complex and often involve lying to them, interfering with their ability to do their job, or resisting arrest. There are a wide range of penalties for these offenses if convicted. Even if you aren’t sentenced to time in jail, your criminal background will depict you as someone unwilling to comply with those responsible for enforcing the law. If charged, you need to give your case proper attention by consulting with a qualified criminal defense attorney who will aggressively represent you.
- College Crimes – When you are a student or the parent of a college student, it can be a stressful time in your life when you or your son or daughter is facing criminal charges. At McElfresh Law, our California college crime attorneys can provide the legal representation to preserve a student’s future.
- Drug Charges – We help people who have been charged with a drug crime in San Diego or are being investigated for one. These charges are complex and treated harshly under California’s drug laws, so having an experienced attorney on your side can make a big difference in whether or not you are convicted. Many times evidence is improperly obtained or handled.
- DUI – California takes driving under the influence very seriously, Whether you are facing your first DUI offense or are considered a repeat offender, a conviction for driving with a BAC above .08 can have a drastic impact on your life. If you’ve been charged with DUI, then you probably have questions about the process and the potential consequences. Skilled DUI attorney Jessica McElfresh can address your concerns and will fight for the best possible outcome.
- Fraud – No one appreciates dishonesty, and being charged with a fraud-related crime does more than hurt someone’s reputation. Depending on the severity of the offense, a conviction could lead to a permanent criminal record, probation, massive fines, and time in state prison. You’ll need an experienced lawyer who will scrutinize the case against you to create the strongest possible defense.
- Marijuana Charges – Despite the fact that medical marijuana is legal in the State of California, the law for nonmedical possession, sale, cultivation, transportation, and trafficking is strict. For example, possession with intent to deliver (or possession for sale) is a felony charge. We know that you might be worried about your future or what might happen to you after a marijuana conviction. We will fight for your future and help you avoid or reduce the penalties you face.
- Medical Marijuana – Medical marijuana has been legal for several years in California, yet many people are charged with a crime despite having a valid prescription. One thing to remember is that any marijuana, including medical marijuana, is always illegal on federal land — including military bases. We also help San Diego medical marijuana businesses to obtain the appropriate licensing and zoning permits to legally operate.
- Public Crimes – Public crimes are violations that interfere with the normal operations of society. These charges cover a variety of offenses including loitering, disorderly conduct, and public drunkenness. The penalties depend on the circumstances as well as your criminal history, but they should not be ignored. Instead of facing these charges alone, San Diego defense attorney Jessica McElfresh can guide you through the entire legal process and provide your best chance at avoiding a conviction.
- Sex Crimes – Sex crimes can sometimes result from false accusations or misunderstandings. However, consequences for a conviction can be severe. Don’t delay in contacting California criminal defense lawyer Jessica McElfresh if you’re being investigated for or charged with a sex crime.
- Stalking, Threats & Harassment — Crimes involving stalking, threats, and harassment often arise from conflicts in personal relationships or from miscommunication. The anger of an acquaintance or former romantic partner can lead to criminal charges under the wrong circumstances. Let Jessica McElfresh tell your side of the story and help you avoid the serious consequences of a criminal conviction.
- Theft Charges – When you are accused of theft, the charges and the consequences can range from fairly minor to very serious depending on the value of the property allegedly taken and the circumstances surrounding the incident. It is completely natural to feel anxious about being charged with theft, since a conviction may result in fines, a criminal record, or even time in jail. However, with a skilled and compassionate criminal defense lawyer at your side, a theft charge isn’t the end of the world.
- Traffic Offenses – Everyone makes mistakes when it comes to driving and, while it may be tempting to simply pay the ticket and go about your business, the fact is that by paying the fine you are admitting your guilt. With every infraction comes a costly fine. Additionally, points begin to accumulate on your license, resulting in higher insurance premiums and eventual suspension of your driving privileges. In the end, a clean driving record is worth protecting and a capable San Diego traffic attorney can help.
- Weapons Charges – Criminal charges can happen if you’re caught carrying the wrong kind of gun, carrying in the wrong place, or being in possession of a weapon if the state thinks you’re in a class of people who shouldn’t be allowed to have weapons. If you’ve been charged, you need the help of an experienced San Diego criminal defense attorney who understands the complexities of the state’s weapons laws.